13 January 2009

one of those days

I woke up with a cold sweat, fever, and migraine so I could immediately tell that this was going to be a b-e-a-utiful day. Slept through classes, called in sick for work, and felt miserable all day long. Ate meals as buffers to take Airborne, vitamins, and Motrin. Joy, joy, joy.

You know that phase of sick when you're just too hazy in the head with your nose so stuffed that you can't breathe properly (and always just one side at a time--probably t.m.i--but that bugs the hell out of me) and you ultimately sit as a useless, catatonic mass of flesh taking up space? I was the quintessential "that" today. Just stared sniffling and coughing at one mindless trash tv series after the other, although I found Vh1's Tool Academy (a school to turn tools into better boyfriends!) most amusing.

There's also been a weird stink, like that of dead skunk, lingering outside all day. This is unfortunately ironic because we've had the window open all day in attempts to let "fresh" air circulate through our apartment.

The day really kicked into gear when I discovered that I'd recently subscribed to a weekly email digest for a local online men's magazine--I swear I did not realize this when I signed up. It lured me in because it's actually a rather nifty site that gives you tips on undiscovered happenings, trends, and places in Los Angeles. Once I had my revelation, though, all the manly aspects started to pop out at me as noticeably as Pam Anderson's chest would to anyone who isn't blind. For one thing, the subcaption at the top of the page (like our CEC taglines) refreshes with witty phrases like: "you're getting laid tonight", "by god, you're a stud", "you're beard/fresh shave looks spectacular", "your fly's open", or the obviously gender neutral, "your manhood is stupendous". This must be for MEgaN! Not to mention the cars, sex+dating, sports+fitness, career+money, home+gadgets tabs. I did find something infomercial-worthy: the Calibowl, anti-spill, good for messy men, babies, and me! So, dudes out there, I recommend you experience the thrill

Just now, I was washing my face and stepped towards my towel when I heard a snap-crackle-pop! It was my hardened left contact lens that I'd dropped and lost just before winter break. I had spent ten fruitless minutes with one good eye looking for that darn thing, gave up and opened a new lens. This is probably not a big deal to most, but I was extremely troubled by the uneven number of lenses I had. The worst part, and it's almost too shameful to admit, is that I deliberately threw out my right contact that was "bothering me anyway" and opened a new one so my pairs would be even (I know, really? Lonely, infomercial lady fate just seems to grow closer in reach everyday).

To top it all off, I'm wide-eyed and wiiiide awake from the delicious sleep in and am realizing how many written assignments are due this week. La-la-la life is wonderful?

No comments: