06 October 2008

douze jours plus tard...

Due to some poor planning, I am taking French IV this fall after having taken French III last fall. The large gap is definitely taking its toll. Thus, I have decided to use some French here and there while blogging, hopefully adding some flair and flounce to these mundane ramblings. For you, the reader, though it will be slightly annoying, it should help you learn some random French, non? Oui?

It's been a while since my last post, and I can't recall every exciting detail, but here are some re-caps that stick out in my mind.

Sproul Block Party. I know, that just sounds lame, but lame it was not! That's how it started, me and Susan, third-year creepers walking up to a dead turnaround with freshmen. We got there a bit too early, found Aldy and Maral, then the party started. We danced and sang like crazy for 3.5 hours. I couldn't even make it back to the apartment so I crashed on Maral's awesome futon <3. Dance parTAY followed up this past Thursday at the most fun Tiger Heat we could possibly ask for, yes, la nuit de Britney Spears!! However, all this dancing and exhaustion has us worrying about Dance Marathon. I think the big 2-0 is showing some signs of wear on my energy. How sad.

Week two is off to a start trés intéressant (cheesy and forced, but I'll continue). Sidenote: these wannabe educational inserts remind me of the SNL parody on Dora. Good times.

Premièrement, I bought a Magic Bullet from Costco! Those who know me can easily picture little Megan jumping with excitement over this infomercial treasure. I'm as happy as I was 16 years ago on le jour de Noël when I opened up my Polly Pocketville from Santa. Now I can finally make my father-daughter smoothie--so named because we "invented" it this summer after much experimenting.

Deuxièmement, Kim and I assembled a rather awesome curtain to cover the open doorway that leads to our space from the kitchen. The project only took dix minutes. We cut a sheet that I took from Sproul this summer in half and scrunched them on the rod--two pieces of plastic cable covers stuck together. Then we evened out the bottom, snip snip, and voila! Privacy! We have more ambitious goals for aesthetics, maybe some tie-dying or painting, but for a makeshift curtain, it does the job. Now, I don't have to worry about the other roommates seeing me walk across to the bathroom in the morning looking haggard. It's not really a self-confidence issue. I'm just not a pretty sight in the morning and would like to spare the other girls from having to start their day seeing a homeless person in their apartment.

Troisièmement, I just got back to the apartment after driving my friend's roommate to the E.R. because of a sudden foot injury. I shall spare you the gory details but let's just say: glass bottle, shatter, shards, foot. Thankfully, the injury wasn't deathly serious, but it will require a few stitches. I will probably receive a call soon to go pick her up from the brand spankin' new Reagan Med Center, which, by the way, is very nice, as Borat would say. As usual, the child within me wanted to explore the lobby de l'hôpital. The chairs were pleasantly cushy, adjacent to a fancy children's t.v. room and vending machines. To my utmost joy, there were dispensers everywhere with super hospital Purell. Also, each bathroom stall had a "pull for help" cord, that I probably would have yanked without second thought had the label not caught my attention first.

In other news, my next Netflix flick is on its way. Queue (same in French!) to date: The Counterfeiters; Tsotsi; 2046. I was considering upgrading to the next plan up, but je sais que je won't be watching more as the quarter goes on.

As for the VP debate, they made me giggle as much as the SNL parodies did. Tina's spot on impersonation becomes increasingly disturbing. Who knew Anne Hathaway had such a lovely singing voice?

Maintenant (now), I am fairly screwed for tomorrow's cours de Francais. Many exercises to do and questions to answer. I'm so distracted by the smell of the newly bought everything bagels. Did I mention that I basically brought back four boxes worth of Costco, Vons, and the Korean market? Om nom nom...

bonne nuit!