07 October 2008

odds 'n' ends

I found the Bruincard! Just found it this morning and I can't remember where or when either...

At the moment, I am watching the debates. I find it difficult to stay focused on the topics of discussion. I keep thinking about how nice it would be if McCain were my gramps and Obama my pops, just two nice guys with oddly soothing voices. It's horrifying that we, as college students, have so much power in this election, yet we're still fairly ignorant about a lot of things and have that much power to screw ourselves over. Being part of and seeing all the efforts around campus to encourage everyone to vote is wonderful, though. Many people drop-off voter reg forms at the post office and always ask for them as well. Progress!

Oh, but just now the debates went from friendly to Gossip Girl. They're getting catty on taxes, social security, and medicare. Speaking of drama...I just remember I missed GG last night due to the sneak, but that was much more enlightening. Marianna Palka and Jason Ritter were the loveliest guests for Q&A.

As for fall quarter, I'm worried whether I can keep it up or not. I just feel completely burned out already, and this time for legitimate reasons not entirely because of my insomnia. On Sunday as I was driving back to school, it hit me that this is our third year. In a little less than two years real life starts. What the...?!? That's definitely !-?, for I am not excited about the unknown; same old dilemma, what's my plan? Of course, I do have teaching no matter what and I should probably start looking into the basics like a CCTC credential program and tests like CBEST to basically establish that I'm not a bonehead with the same intellectual ability of your five-year old child. I think not passing the CBEST would qualify for an epic fail.

This Friday we leave for retreat. I slightly regret volunteering to drive now that I know we are going to Big Bear. I'm also sad we are missing Iron Man--I kinda wanted to watch it again. But I know we will be reimbursed for gas and that retreat will be productive. Maybe I'll just stop by my house on the way there, have dinner, fill up the tank and continue on the 210 to the base of the most nauseating mountain drive. Windy roads, wee!

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. I have tons of French homework to catch up on. Meetings galore. I also need to finish up applications for DM Committee and SCA. More time committments which I probably won't be able to follow through on.

Silver lining for the week: using the complimentary dinner for 2 coupon at West Restaurant at the Hotel Angeleno. We will be making the best of that one coupon, the five of us, ordering a few extra appetizers/entrees and splitting all the costs. Our excuse to dress up, qualifying for their requirement of "smart casual"...as opposed to stupid casual? Would that be hillbilly plaid + mocassins? Thankfully the Angeleno is only five minutes away and dinner seating ends at 10pm so we will make it just on time. I'm already salivating over that meal. Excitement!

Oo! and because I'm so in awe with the machine, I must express my enthusiasm over Magic Bullet and the fact that it works! Of course, now, I'll have to experiment like crazy and try dicing, blending, chopping, ___ing whatever I can.

I've upgraded my Netflix to the next, 2-DVDs at-a-time because Jeffries and Myers made me feel lame about my $8.99 plan. It was a good upgrade, though I did discover how misleading "flat fee" is because they charge tax. Oh well.

The debates are very tense now. I'm anxious for upcoming tv, mainly House and Fringe, plus my mind-numbing reality show addictions that I choose not to mention. Kudos if you can guess though!

2 comments:

Kara said...

Bagels? I am so proud.

Enjoy your crazy schedule before you become old like me. Whoops, almost midnight, off to bed I go!

Unknown said...

Netflix Peer Pressure!