28 November 2008

scrumdiddlyumptious

Safe to say that I'd been craving a holiday meal for weeks and the family Thanksgiving did not disappoint. I can't contain the excitement for Christmas and New Year's gatherings, more good times and good foods! I'm fairly certain I've already gained a couple pounds over the past two days. Yay.

Of course, I must re-create the savory evening. We arrived and pretty much dove into the turkey, gathered 'round the kitchen island eating pieces as my aunt and uncle cut. None of us could wait. After some discussion, we decided to lay out everything nicely on the dining table for our family pics, then take everything back to the kitchen for buffet style eating, because that is how we do.

Green bean casserole with chopped onion, topped with fried onion crisps! Louisiana style seafood Spanish rice! Apple bread stuffing! Buttercream corn! Rosemary, thyme, and veggie marinated turkey + turkey gravy! Mashed 'taters! Cranberry! Kimchi! Pickled, thinly sliced cucumbers! The last two, we just had to have to fulfill our Korean taste palettes. Dinner finished off with delish Pumpkin bundt cake and sweet potato pie which my aunt made from scratch. I pretty much made myself eat more and more and more alllll night, then knocked out.

To top off the meal I finished my first glass of wine, ever! Still found it disgusting and tasting like dimeatap, but my uncle could not have been more enthused to teach me how to properly receive and drink the wine. I'm glad I know for the future, though, since you're supposed to learn how to drink the right way with elders. Although, he wants me to up the glasses with each gathering. I'll have to let him down easy and turn down the position as his new drinking buddy.

I also faced a harsh reality when my eight-year-old cousin, who has always been peculiar, informed me that he's moved on from Disney, the JoeBros, Miley, Selena, Demi and "all that." He's "into politics and stocks." What is going on?! I still wanna go to Chuck E' Cheese's. =/

I drank two cokes at dinner, so after arriving back home, was unbelievably alert and went through the leftovers for round two. Officially fell asleep around 5am--which was probably long after some stores opened for Black Friday. That's not even the most horrifying; people had been sleeping outside Best Buy since the beginning of the week to get an "early" start. Disgusting. I seriously doubt I have enough energy to compete with the survivor women of shopping on this scary day. I wouldn't have made it anyway, since I slept through it all and woke up at 4pm. Yeaaayuh.
----------

[THE DARK KNIGHT] WHOAMG. Great except for the fact that I fell asleep at some random point in the middle. I also couldn't stand Batman's voice...sounded like someone who'd been smoking for 80 years. Heath Ledger was phenomenally disturbing and it just reminded me of what a waste it is that he is gone. Two thumbs up! I had my jaw dropped for the entire ending.

Semi-films outing after the film was also fun. My chance to indulge in all the Red Mango I could eat since the treat was comped!

[NOBEL SON] Crazy, disorienting film, but I loved the cast and who can say no to Alan Rickman?! It was a successful sneak and an entertaining Q&A. Of course there were the annoying, redundant questions posed to Alan about Harry Potter and Love Actually. Then we had attempted to protect Alan and Randall Miller (director/writer) from the crowd. Fun.

[GRIFFITH] Haven't been here since I was three or four so I couldn't remember anything. Yoko and I had a good ol' time running around like starry-eyed kids, taking pictures of everything, "Oooh ahhh" -ing at everything. I hope to go back on a clearer day and go on the hiking path they have at the base of the observatory. The view is amazing!

I also went to the gift shop, of course, but i bought NOTHING! Self-control! Yes. Though I was tempted to buy everything...giant pencils, mugs, 3d periodic table of elements, spacesuit. Gahh.

[LIFE] as for my life in general, things seem to be moving along okay. All of my classes worked out for next quarter, always a good thing.

I do have the internship with Film Independent for the Indie Spirit Awards in the production dep't. I am sacrificing Dance Marathon, disheartening, but I'm sure the internship will be well worth it. Hopefully I can still set up a fundraising account to collect donations, though I won't be able to dance.

I've also applied to be an Apple campus rep. This one's mainly out of interest, for kicks, and to keep some money coming in so I won't be flat broke.

Mom asked what I wanted to do again. I replied as I always do. "I dunno, I like everything." To which she replied, "That's good, but not good." I'd really like to figure out my life. Sure, carpe diem and living adventurously and spontaneously is great, but there's something to be said about having a plan, or at least an outline/rough draft on life? SIGH.



!!! Breaking news as I wrap up. I just found out that a Wal-mart employee was killed today, having been trampled by a stampede of shoppers. Uhhhhmmmm...

If that's not an indication of apocalypse now, it certainly alludes to the cold, hard truth of how sad people are. I love sales and coupons, perhaps a bit much sometimes, but at least I didn't kill someone because of my insatiable urge to buy something cheaper.

No comments: