24 February 2010

Olympaholics/Olympiacs Un-Anonymous

I am an addict. I have yet to find someone as obsessed over the Olympics as me. Any and every sport, summer or winter. There's just something about what it symbolizes; excellence, a nation's pride, dreams realized. Plus, they're fun, competitive and everyone wants a winner.



Of course my loyalties are shared for KoreAmerica, but USA wins a lot of everything, so I'm rooting for my roots.

The family and I are all hoping for Korea to finish in the top ten for medal count. Kim Yuh-Na (pronounced yuh, not yoona, but it's too late to correct all the world) will be the most significant victory. She's a skating prodigy, possibly even greater than the greats like Kristi Yamaguchi and Michelle Kwon, but I do worry about all the pressure of having an entire country on her shoulders. S.K. has been aggressively and almost angrily "supporting" her for the gold. We've got some short track and speed skating medals up for grabs as well. Other than that, we'll be done for winter since Korea is not keen on the snow/ski sports and hasn't developed the stamina or endurance for winter marathons.

Also, I'm genuinely glad to see that curling is sweeping (hah!) the nation. I've been following the sport since it was officially added to the Olympics in '98.  The most obvious reason behind curling fever might be that it's the only sport being shown all day, every day. Good times

No comments: