05 June 2009

Oh.S.T.

Movie original soundtracks sure are magical. People tend to underestimate the power of the musical score or soundtrack of a film. Not to say that the 500 DAYS OF SUMMER OST is the most brilliantly scored thing ever!, but it just goes to show how a great selection can help move or enhance the storyline and bring out traits from the characters. Plus, it's always feel-good to hear a song that takes you back or has you tapping/humming along.

Webb's "The Playlist" article explaining his song selection for 500 DAYS is an interesting read. It also makes me wonder if there is or that is something to consider in the entertainment industry as an occupation--Executive Song Chooser. Mmm, yeah. Here I go again, maybe this, maybe that...la dee da.

As for the film itself, 500 DAYS OF SUMMER is captivating. It's just cheesy enough, but doesn't go completely overboard. The ending is not exactly what I'd imagined (and I was NOT expecting a cheesy close), but that might've had something to do with the casting choice. I'm more than satisfied with films that are smart not to take the indulgent and corny route for chick flicks. IN GOOD COMPANY is one such example of a great ending. 500 DAYS is a chick flick, but it's also an everyone-flick, a little more realistic than all the Meg Ryan-P.S. I Love You-Serendipity-doo-da films that leave me wanting the quart sized Haagen Daaz instead of pint size. Zooey and Joseph Gordon Levitt are quite the charming duo. JGL, I've been a fan of you since ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD. I listen to The Smiths, too. Pick me. kthnx.

Oh, and a film I shockingly left out in my last blog vomit is none other than THE WICKER MAN. Now, mother and I are loyal, longstanding fans of Nick Cage. He's made a solid amount of good moves--FAST TIMES, RAISING ARIZONA, A&A, THE ROCK, ADAPTATION, etc.--but hooo boy is this film awful. It's one of those awesomely and laughably bad flicks that is priceless to watch with good company. And that is how I recommend you watch it.

Life update #10923192390. There is a rodent (haven't seen long enough to figure out whether rata o ratón) in the apartment. I've been living in paranoia for two days now, preceding my steps out of my room with loud noises, deliberately shaking, hitting, opening and closing things loudly before entering or leaving. If it were Remy from Ratatouille, I'd be perfectly fine...but it's the real-life, mucky, grey kind, so no thank you. University Apartment hotline sent over man with glue traps. Great. Not that I'd prefer actual snap traps, but glue is unpleasant too and Rach further helped that out by sharing horror stories of glue traps. Not to worry, I've located the source and done my best to block up those openings. Fashioned myself up a barrier out of plastic bag+thick shopping bag+soy milk carton+duct tape. I'm puzzled why the critter chose our apartment. There really hasn't been much pungently aromatic eats here for the past couple weeks.

Awkward transition to: Last night, the outgoing/incoming directors and graduating seniors on CEC dined at FOGO DE CHAO. I haven't had Brazilian BBQ for several years, so this was a real treat. Unfortunately, having been recently sick plus with poor stomach health (due to the horrible way I eat and live my life), I wasn't 100% normal in eating habits. Regardless, I managed to stuff myself silly with meat off of swords, and it was glorious. The evening was also bittersweet, as I've grown closer to and will truly miss everyone leaving this year. Cue Vitamin C "Graduation" and tears.

Apologies for the recent, lengthy posts. I suppose it's because of all the bottled up blog energy in my fingers and head after the hiatus, but I won't promise that they'll necessarily be shorter, especially with LAFF and London coming up! Must conquer the finals first---aghh I think I hear real Remy trying to break through my barriers...

No comments: